I have to ask. Do you use the S word?
Trust me, I’m not going potty mouth here. I simply want to know if you use your sword?
Because your sword is what you, as a female, seriously need to get your hands on if you’re going to be properly equipped for each and every day.
It is the one weapon that will enable you to battle against your daily struggle of insecurity, fear, worry, anxiety, and inadequacy.
Based on what I hear from more and more women and teen girls, we are in a full-out war against the Enemy’s lies. And we are unequipped for the battle and discouraged by its reality. We think we’re all alone in a dwelling place of despair wallpapered by quiet lies. We also think our pit is reserved for me, myself, and I. Oh, that is so not true. Our pits are sharing adjacent walls, but they are dug so deep with lies we can’t even hear each other yelp for help.
As Christians, who have put our faith in Christ as Lord, we need to get gut honest and recognize that we do have an Enemy. He is the Father of Lies (John 8:44) whose number one tactic is lying to our soul about the truth of our identity, circumstances, others, and God. All the Devil needs to do is take note of how we live and what we say in order to recognize what we believe. Then he messes with our mind as he hits play on the all-too-familiar condemning tape that nabs our heart and renders us overcome by life’s trials.
A lie is the opposite of truth.
God’s Word is the truth.
His truth is a sword.
A sword that slashes lies.
We can trump this destructive lie-battering, pit-dwelling cycle through using the word of God, which is sharper than any double edged sword (Ephesians 6:17, Hebrews 4:12), to slash through deception, deceit, and discouragement, and break free into truth-filled living. Let me ask you, when was the last time you got your fleshy hands on a sword, and a double edged one at that? It is heavy and powerful, requiring strength and training to use it effectively.
The Word is our sword, which we must to use to defend against the Enemy’s attempts to steal, kill, and destroy us (John 10:10). We need to be serious about our training, determining to become experts in using the Word to do battle against the Enemy’s lies:
Do you hear those accusing “You are so…” statements stirring a pot of fear and doubt and condemnation within your mind? These statements are distinctly different from the “I should…” convictions of your soul, in which the Holy Spirit is prompting you to move you in obedience to the Lord. By learning to recognize the lies against the truth of Scripture, you will be better prepared for the attacks.
- Download our free Topics & Truth Mental Makeover Download to help discover some key areas of lies you unknowingly believe and also learn how to demolish every argument and pretension that comes up against the Truth (2 Corinthians 10:5).
- Get a stack of index cards and write down the lying thought that accuses you on one side and on the other side write down the Scripture Truth
- Seek the Lord in prayer to ask Him to remind you of His truth through out the quiet times of your day and in the midst of the battle.
To wield a double edge sword requires strength, which comes from slowly building up your muscles. This is why it is the daily discipline of being in the Word that reaps such great benefits in the long run. Make time to be immersed in the Scriptures and Biblical teaching daily. Strive to retain it through Scripture memory, study, and discussion with other believers. Beyond reading the Word, seek to apply it!
- Jump start your study of Scripture with the Immersed Challenge. It is free. It is easy.
- Get your hands on a Bible. If you need help selecting a Bible, read this. We highly recommend the Life Application Study Bible NLT. It is packed with study tools designed to enhance you’re understanding of Scripture.
- Consider using a devotional that offers you a simple but profound daily word of encouragement.
- Plug into a Bible study group either online or in real life, for accountability and deeper training.
- Make Church a priority commitment and attend one with solid Bible teaching, so that you are trained up each week.
Knowing the Word and using it will be the best weapon you can find to battle the discouragement swirling around in your thought life. Become a warrior princess who knows how to use your sword, for the glory of God. In the process, you’ll become the woman God intended as you experience life transformed.
…the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.
For the word of God is living and active.
Sharper than any double-edged sword,
it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow;
it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.
… linking up with Write It Girl …
Latest posts by Elisa (see all)
- Meet the New You Book Club: Because It’s Time for a Fresh Encounter with God - April 26, 2016
- Life Balance Customized for You - April 19, 2016
- Life Without a Bucket List - April 7, 2016