Sometimes I feel like being a Christian is so boring. Is it bad to feel that way?
Being a Christian doesn’t mean we are not allowed to have feelings, so please don’t be hard on yourself for questioning the status and experience of your faith. Yet, that said, how we feel about our faith has much to do with what we think about life and God, and what we make of our experiences.
For example, I have a friend whose husband serves in a ministry feeding the poor on the streets, helping people change their lives, and sharing the Gospel with others so they can accept Christ as their Savior. From what they have shared with me, there is nothing boring about it being a follower of Christ serving in this capacity. I could say the same about my own life, and I am not serving in a dangerous or desperate situation.
While God has given us all different assignments and talents, our dissatisfaction with life as a Christian may have more to do with our own choices and perspectives rather than our circumstances and faith walk.
- Hang out with other Christians. Maybe you haven’t been hanging out with any other Christians and need to have some fun together – good, clean fun that is. Fellowship is sooooooo important in our lives. We encourage each other, laugh together, cry together, be silly together, and just have fun together!!!!!
- Listen to some worship music. There are plenty of awesome Christian bands whose music is just as good, if not better than what’s on the radio. Try out David Crowder, Third Day, Skillet, Jars of Clay, Christ Tomlin…oh I could go on and on!
- Get your hands dirty! Help out, volunteer, get involved. Tell people your testimony. Lead someone to Christ.
- Notice the blessings from the Lord. You just have to notice them. Keep a journal of everything that God is doing in your life. Read it over and over again. You will not be bored by this. I promise you!
- Don’t listen to others or non-Christians if they are mocking you saying you’re boring. They are walking around with blinders on. You bring the Light that you are supposed to. Don’t be defeated by them. Pray for them.